Mandatory TR6 diff rebuild?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mandatory TR6 diff rebuild?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 15:43:28 -0700
Hi gang.

Not done with the differential questions yet.  Earlier today I talked on
the phone with tech support at TRF, spoke to Dave.  I was asking him about
my little
quandary regarding the pinion nut torque and preload and how I should put
it back together.  Well, according to Dave, the only GOOD option I have at
this point is to rebuild the whole thing.  Here's what he told me, and you
all can interject your own contrary opinions, if any, as you see fit:
First of all, and most importantly, he says there's no such thing as a new
crownwheel & pinion.  They aren't made.  Not available.  Therefore risking
damage to a currently intact crownwheel and pinion is not advisable.  His
suggestion is that whether I torque the nut to the torque specified in the
Bentley manual, (90 to 120 foot-pounds) or whether I put it back near as I
can to where it was before I removed the locking wire and nut, I run a
significant chance of severely shortening the life of the diff.  By
severely, I mean that-in his words-the diff may very well come apart "as I
back out of the driveway."  He says I would run that risk EVEN IF I had
carefully marked the nut and pinion PRIOR to removing the nut, and then
later returned the nut to its previous position.

Then I called BPNW, and Leighton there said that all their rebuilt diffs
come with NEW ring & pinions.  That's exactly OPPOSITE of what understood
TRF was telling me.

Please give me some more input here... I found it very hard to believe that
the ring & pinions are not available new, yet that's what I understood Dave
at TRF to say.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6