Mandatory diff rebuild follow-up

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mandatory diff rebuild follow-up
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:08:53 -0700
I wanted to add a few things to my previous post in the interest of being
"fair" to TRF...

Dave told me, and I can't recall his EXACT words, but it was very close to
"We can't use/get a new crownwheel & pinions, we can only use a USED
crownwheel & pinion."  I suppose you could (in the world of Bill Clinton)
say that's not the same as saying "New crownwheel & pinion sets are
completely unavailable, are not made anywhere by anyone at any price."
But, it's important to note that he went on to say that TRF will not accept
as a "rebuildable core" a diff with a broken crownwheel & pinion for this
very reason.  He said that if I put it back together as is, whether I
torque it down or not, and then it breaks, then I would no longer have an
acceptable core.

Initially, I took this all to mean that new crownwheel & pinion sets are
not available.  Period.  And, since I didn't KNOW any better, I didn't feel
like I should disbelieve it, even as difficult as it was to believe.  But
as I thought more about what he said I realized that perhaps I
misunderstood some things or misinterpreted some things.

But, what I definitely did NOT misunderstand is that TRF uses NOTHING but
USED crownwheel & pinion sets in their rebuilt diffs and for whatever
reason WILL NOT use NEW ones.  And, British Parts Northwest claims that
their rebuilt diffs DO come with new crownwheel & pinion sets.  I can't see
why, if new ones are available after all, TRF wouldn't use them in their
rebuilt diffs.

I'm just trying to set the record straight here in fairness to TRF.  But I
have to confess, especially after finding out that BPNW supplies diffs with
new C & P sets, I was definitely thinking about the possibility that
someone at TRF was telling me a great big whopper in an effort to sell
another rebuilt TR6 diff.  I'm not sure that's really the case now...and
I'm NOT trying to start one of those "TRF bashing" discussions.  Just
looking for the truth.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6