re: Driver's side vertical link

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Subject: re: Driver's side vertical link
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 01:01:31 -0400
Cc: 6 Pack Digest <6packlist@mfasco.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Bryan,

It's a long time since I did my metallurgical studies stuff, but I do know
that there is a real difference between metallurigal composition of
castings, forgings and machined parts - particularly how they behave when
being shaped and re-shaped.

Since the part you're having a problem with is a suspension component, it
may be necessary to look in the Bentley/Triumph manual to try and determine
if this is a high tensile component.  If it is, Triumph will have followed
the BSI recommendations for steel/Cast steel/CI specs. and that will tend
to the high tensile strength end, with good shear characteristics (I think
- but  have no info except a rather dated UK engineering degree to
substantiate that thought).  But, since it is likely that this is a
high-carbon steel item, once distortion occurs, you cannot guarantee any of
the original characteristics - in fact, you are looking at something that
may suffer crystalline failure unexpectedly as a result of the deformation
and resultant structural changes that may result from the reshaping of this
item.

My call on this one is to go with your idea of getting a replacement part
off the list.  As a '6 owner with a limited supply of bits (haven't owned a
TR6 for long enough to have my own parts car ...), I can't help too much on
the finding a part front, but if I was in your position, I would be happier
if the arm was replaced with a new part on my car for all the usual reasons
related to keeping the wheels pointed in the same sort of direction.  In
support, I can recount an LBC (sort of) tale:  having had a repaired cast
steering item let go suddenly on a Morris Minor in 1973 when the left
steering arm let go on a gentle sweeping right hand bend (no damage to
anything apart from the road surface) - the car ended up parked neatly at
the kerb almost if planned, but with the LH wheel pointing towards Jupiter
or somewhere), so I am more than a little twitchy on this one.  And don't
forget that BL and Triumph were sort of cousins at that time.

Good luck with your repair,

Tony Gordon
72 TR6 Midland MI

Several weeks ago, when I put my front suspension back together, I noticed
that it was almost impossible to turn the driver's side front wheel assy,
even with the tire on. Talked with my father and we figured out that the
link must be bent. Sure enough, I took both sides off again last night and
compared them, and the driver's side link is nearly flat, whereas the p-side
has a nice bend in it (you could move the p-side with your finger when it
was on the car and under load from the spring).

I took the d-side to a machine shop today so that he could try and bend it
back the way it is supposed to be. He told me that since it is a casting,
there is a chance that it will break. I gave him the go ahead because I
obviously can't use it the way it is right now. As a back up, I thought I'd
ask the list if anyone has a d-side vertical link for a TR250 (with the stub
axle in it) that is in good condition that they may be willing to part with.
I'm not real hot about spending $200 for a new one with a stub axle if I can
get a good used one somewhere for less.

Of course, this is all dependent on what happens at the machine shop. Right
now, I'm praying that the blasted thing doesn't break, and that I can put my
front wheel assy's back on tomorrow.

If anyone has one they can part with, pls let me know off-list.

Bryan Stinocher

   Anthony Gordon                       Technology Education Coordinator
   Saginaw Public Schools               tel: 1-517-797-4855
   ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd               fax: 1-571-797-4778
   Saginaw, MI 48602, USA               email: tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us