RE: gloves

To: Winnie Olmer <who@sover.net>
Subject: RE: gloves
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 14 May 1999, Winnie Olmer wrote:

> What do you find to be the benefit of gloves? I've seen them used on
> "Shadetree Mechanic" and other shows. Seems like youd loose some tactile
> feel. Therefore what is so useful to accept loosing some ability to feel
> what youre doing?

Consider these feelings:

"Ouch, that sheet metal is sharp"
"Boy, that carb sure felt greasy"
"Your hands sure feel funny while burning"
"I feel that acid spills are bad news"

It takes a long time, and plenty of hot water, to remove grease and oil
from one's hands (and if you have to go and grab something important, like
a baby or Bill Piggott's book, you want clean hands).

I always wear gloves when working with a substance that could be nasty.
Gasoline, acids, paints (usually...), fiberglass.  For general wrenching I
don't usually wear gloves; however, when I had to do the brakes on my
dad's car this January, the lost feeling due to cloth gloves was
preferable to lost feeling due to frost bite!

And, you do get used to it.  I found that it forced me to work slower,
which is not a bad thing.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm