New bummer on RE: New Noises....

To: philpatt@kalamazoo.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: New bummer on RE: New Noises....
From: MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:45:53 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, I sure wish that was the end of the story. Last night, after
working on trying to lean out the mix on the SU's on the MGA, I went for
a drive through the back roads near where I live to see how she
performed. 11:00 at night and screaming through the windy turns. What a
thrill. Came into one of the tight turns that makes this road so much
fun, braked hard, down shifted to third, put the gas to it. The engine
was screaming. Powering through the turn, everything felt perfect. The
car was performing wonderfully. Too bad the tach isn't working. I'd sure
like to know what the RPM was. Suddenly the rear end broke loose.

I spun out. Now, this is a pretty sparsley populated area, mostly
orchards and farms. The car and I did a couple of 360s before we came to
a rest. Everything was pitch black. Headlights were out, couldn't see a
thing. I tried the starter, nothing. The words " thank you Mr. Lucas"
crossed my mind after assessing that I was still in the seat, and
reasonably intact. The only thing that I could see in the overcast night
was something light colored several feet away. Climbed out and picked it
up....a chunck of BONDO! D#&n!

Started walking home to get the van to come back and tow the car home
when a cop pulls up and asks if I had been involved in an accident.
After explaining the situation to him he gives me a ride back to the
scene of the "accident". When we get there it looks like a theme park
with my car sitting back end against a tree in some guy's front yard
(which was bigger than most football fields). This time the house lights
were on (Oh, there's a house there. If I had seen that I would have made
a call.) The cops verified that I was sober - though probably stupid -
and helped me assess the damage. The battery had been thrown about
twenty yards and in the light we found it and my ball cap. Reinstalled
the battery and the car started right up. Farmer John, whose yard now
boasts some great looking tire tracks in rather creative patterns, is
still furious.

The police felt they had to ticket me for something - stupidity isn't
illegal yet- so I ended up with a $55 fine for "Too fast for the
conditions". Kind of hard to argue that one.

The real damage.....drivers side rear wing, driver's door, and left rear
tire.  I drove the car home, or rather nursed it home. Bottom line.....
I'm glad to be alive. The kids still have a Dad. One more touch of
reality to help me keep both feet on the ground in the future. Life is
indeed precious....

On the up side, the kids are giving Dad some wide berth right now.

Sorry for the bandwith, but just had to share this with folks who can
appreciate.

Mark
(Now driving VERY conservatively and looking for MGA body panels)