Re: TR6 at the Beach (rust/corrosion)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 at the Beach (rust/corrosion)
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:59:28 -0400
Kai Radicke wrote:

> Summer is here, and I've got a sunburn from driving with the top down
> already.
>
> I typically spend large amounts of time at the NJ shore during the warmer
> months and wondered how the TR6s hold up in that type of atmosphere/region?
>
> I don't expect it to get any actual salt water on itself, and the TR6 will
> be spending it's evenings much further inland... so it's exposure time to
> salty air will probably be from about 8am until 10pm.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
> 1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR6

Kai

I once bought a TR-6 off a guy who was in the service stationed in Hawaii.  Upon
removing the fenders, I discovered a sandy film that abruptly stopped about
halfway up
the inner fender and it became obvious that at one point there was about 6" of
sand
accumulated on top of the sill between inner and outer fender.  Of course the
sills
were toast - then again, show me an unrestored TR-6 that doesn't have some
corrosion
there anyway.

I assume the sand was a result of actually running on the beach itself as I can
imagine that as being something a young GI on leave with a TR-6 would do.
Other than
that, I saw no other ill-effects from salt air - no sand in the bottom of the
oil pan,
trans, or rear, hubs and bearings good, etc.  Frame had the usual problems but
again,
show me a car that doesn't have some corrosion there and there weren't traces
of sand
inside the frame like there was in the rockers, probably just water damage as
usual.

Keep your car washed and waxed regularly (including washing the underside) and
I think
you'd be just fine.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars