Re: Bleeding Herald Brakes

To: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Bleeding Herald Brakes
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:00:34 +0100
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi, Bill,

Used to have this sort of problem on my '68 Herald 1200, even after
fitting Vitesse discs to the front!. Half the problem is that the angled
master cylinder can hold a bubble at its upper end and it obviously
can't go into the reservoir.
What I used to do was to bleed the brakes in the normal way then, at the
end (right front bleed point on a UK car) kick the pedal with the bleed
nipple well open. The aim is to give the pedal a shrp, but not hard,
kick to dislodge that bubble.

Other brake bleeding tricks..

If the pedal is soft and you don't know why, clamp off the flexible
hoses until the pedal goes hard. The last one you clamp off has the
bubble in the brake unit. Don't forget to protect the hoses from sharp
edges when clamping.

If the pedal is soft but pumps up after one or two presses, there is air
in the fluid. This is usually in the form of foam-leaving the pedal
untouched for a few minutes will let the air separate to form a bubble
which can be expelled more easily.

On drum brakes, rack the adjusters up tight so the wheels can't turn.
This means you're bleeding out air, not bleeding out air *and* moving
the brake shoes.

Also on drums, if you get a stubborn front brake, slacken the pipe
connection to the slave cylinder without a bleed nipple and let the air
out that way. Messy but effective and don't forget to tighten it and
have the pedal pressed hard to check for leaking.

On Heralds and Spits, the bulkhead flexes where the master is bolted on.
I drilled two pieces of 1/8" angle iron and bolted them in under the
master fixings- it improved the pedal feel noticeably.

Good Luck,

Dave Hill