Brake Problems (Longish, but great story)

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Problems (Longish, but great story)
From: David Brackin <dbrackin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:24:38 -0400
I must digress to the great Whozits and Whatzits for this problem.  I
welcome any and all suggestions:

While driving home from that always wonderful BC Gathering in Townsend
TN. held on the first weekend of May each year,   Headed north on the
Blue Ridge Parkway, driving just fast enough, (properly indicated by the
squeal from the Redlines).   No problems for fifty miles, then after
stopping at a pull-out to enjoy some of the wonderful views offered by
the severe clear weather, I noticed a problem with the brake pedal.
I slid the shifter into neutral and stepped on the brake to start the
car.  Whoa! what's this!  The pedal is 'hard' all the way at the top
travel stop,  no slack at all and way too 'tight' to press in.  I
cranked the car and rolled forward I could feel that the brakes were
dragging.  After some inspection it seems that only the front brakes
were affected, but I'm not positive about this point (you know how the
rears always seem to lag behind the fronts in proper adjustment).

Anyway, after thirty minutes of frantic calls on the cell phone trying
to find anyone with a tow truck, I decided to try to drive on to the
next town.  Well, shock... the brakes work as if nothing has happened at
all.  I continue on my way for another 100 miles without any sign of the
problem.

So I think just maybe... this might be the result of (A) the mountains
and (B) my overdriving the brakes a bit.  Then during the short stop
just maybe the pads sorta stuck (kinda weak, huh?).

Anyway,  I drove to the grocery (any excuse will do) Sunday afternoon,
(4 miles), was inside 15 minutes and when I hopped in the car...., same
thing!?!?!?  Brake pedal the way up hard as a rock for thirty minutes
then drive home with no problems.

I don't have a clue as to what the problem is!

DETAILS:

    '68 TR250  -  Brakes completely rebuilt 3 years ago - Apple
Hydraulic overhauled master and front calipers and new rear slaves at
rebuild - Dot 5 fluid, always topped off no leaks (but admittedly not
flushed regularly) - stainless flex lines - original 'hard' tubing
(flushed with denatured alcohol during rebuild).

I am pulling it down tonight, doing an 'exploratory', plan is to rebuild
the master and the front calipers and flush the whole system.

Dave Brackin
'68 TR-250  (With rare fail-safe braking system)
'57 TR 3      (more boxes please)