Valve noise

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve noise
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:25:24 -0400
Hi All,
Well, the TR3 is back on the road again (thanks to vafred for sending me a
m/c fork and all your advice on fitting the fan belt)
Now I'm concerned about the valve noise - (very fast rythmic tapping/
clattering)  it is really loud in the cockpit even when the engine has
fully warmed up.  Is this normal?
I reset the valve clearances from 10 thou on both intake and exhaust to 12
and 14, respectively, on the advice of the mechanic who sold me that back
axle/rear end.  Apparently, he knows the car somewhat and the "hot" cam,
although the origin of this cam is unknown (ie no valve clearance
recommendations).  This car is known as the "Screamer"  (I'm not sure if
thats a reference to how fast it goes or the owner when he gets a typical
repair bill).
Anyhows, resetting the clearances didn't seem to effect performance (the
clattering is about the same as well).
Is it Ok to continue driving or do I need to investigate further?
Today, I took it to work for the first time - this car is a serious Babe
Magnet - people are lining up for a ride in it!

Many Thanks for any advice,      Adrian