Re: Valve noise

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve noise
From: George Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:15:12 -0700
Adrian Jones wrote:

> Now I'm concerned about the valve noise - (very fast rythmic tapping/
> clattering)  it is really loud in the cockpit even when the engine has
> fully warmed up.  Is this normal?

FWIW, I get quite a bit of noise from my stock cam at .010 but that is
where I keep it (though "really loud in the cockpit" may be more than
what I'm getting).  If you can't hear the valve train on a TR3 it's
probably adjusted too tight.

Soooo... can't help on your cam of unknown origin other than to say that
valve train noise is not a good guide to correct adjustment.

BTW:  Does it have a stock (chromed stamped sheet metal) valve cover
with a gasket?  Just thinking of what else could amplify the noise.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A