International licences

To: "Hugh R. McAleer" <vitesse@juno.com>
Subject: International licences
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:12:00 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hugh
The situation with internatinal licenses depends to some extent on the
country a person visits and his/her own nationality. Most west European
countries allow you to hire a car or use your own within that country using
your own domestic license. However, if you go to quite a large number of
Third World countries, they may well require you to have an international
permit before taking to the road on your own. International permits are
usually valid for one year and state in a variety of languages that you are
qualified to drive certain types of vehicle. I don't know the various routes
you'd go through to obtain one in the US but I guess the AAA would be a good
place to start. They'll also probably be able to tell you which countries
will accept a normal US licence or will insist on a international one.
John Mac

Book 1: http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
Book 2: http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/crocus
Triumph Over Triumph magazine: http://www.cyberware.co.uk/~chips11