Dirty oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dirty oil
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:00:37 -0400 (EDT)

What are the major reasons that motor oil gets dirty?

I ask this because I have a 1980 Volvo 240 which always has clean oil,
and as a second family car, gets driven by everyone. It is changed
regularly at 3500 miles (with new filter), and has over 200,000 miles on
the engine.

However, the oil in my 73 TR6 with 124,000 miles is dirty soon after I
change it (always with a new filter element). The TR6 engine is very
healthy, and I change the oil probably more regularly than with the old
Volvo.

Is it poor air filters; the original oil filter set up on the TR6; or
what?

Does the engine need flushing?

Thanks

Robert Carley