TR6 Alternator (or where oh where does the little brown wire go)

To: 6packlist@mfasco.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Alternator (or where oh where does the little brown wire go)
From: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com (The Romagni's)
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:00:09 -0400
Fellow listers,

The alternator in my 1974 TR6 finally went south this weekend. I planned
to replace it with the Bosch one from a Fiesta, but couldn't find one
without placing a special order. However, I did find a plenty of rebuilt
Lucas ones, 45 amp variety. Go figure.

Anyway, when I examined the new one it has three connectors in the back
- two large copper colored spade terminals and one smaller silver
colored one. The old alternator (15 ACR) was the 28 amp variety with 5
connectors. I removed three wire from the old alternator, a large brown
wire, the brown/yellow one and a small brown wire. The big brown was
attached to a large copper colored spade terminal labeled +, the
brown/yellow was attached to IND and the "little brown" was attached to
the B+ terminal.

I've looked thru my past posts, VTR website and the Moss catalog for
more info. I've determined the big brown is the charging lead and goes
to either of the large copper colored terminals. The brown/yellow one
goes to the small silver colored terminal for the dash indicator light.
But, I can't for the life of me figure out where the "little brown" wire
goes! I thought it was for sensing, yes? Also, how does the voltmeter
work if the "little brown" wire isn't hooked up? Can I just tape it off
and ignore it? Do I splice it to the big brown wire?

Thanks in advance.

Marty Romagni
1974 TR6
Painesville, OH

PS - I haven't installed the new fuse box yet. I'll post back when I'm
done.