Re: TR6 Alternator (or where oh where does the little brown wire go)

To: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com, 6packlist@mfasco.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Alternator (or where oh where does the little brown wire go)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:44:09 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/99 9:12:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrdr@buckeyeweb.com writes:

>  Anyway, when I examined the new one it has three connectors in the back
>  - two large copper colored spade terminals and one smaller silver
>  colored one. The old alternator (15 ACR) was the 28 amp variety with 5
>  connectors. I removed three wire from the old alternator, a large brown
>  wire, the brown/yellow one and a small brown wire. The big brown was
>  attached to a large copper colored spade terminal labeled +, the
>  brown/yellow was attached to IND and the "little brown" was attached to
>  the B+ terminal.
>
>  I've looked thru my past posts, VTR website and the Moss catalog for
>  more info. I've determined the big brown is the charging lead and goes
>  to either of the large copper colored terminals. The brown/yellow one
>  goes to the small silver colored terminal for the dash indicator light.
>  But, I can't for the life of me figure out where the "little brown" wire
>  goes! I thought it was for sensing, yes? Also, how does the voltmeter
>  work if the "little brown" wire isn't hooked up? Can I just tape it off
>  and ignore it? Do I splice it to the big brown wire?

Marty,

The voltmeter doesn't connect directly to any of the brown wires, as they are
hot all the time, key on or off. The voltmeter is only active when the key is
on, so it gets its power from the white wire off the ignition switch.

You're right, the small brown wire was the voltage sensing lead, but on the
alternator you now have, the voltage sensing is internal, so this lead is now
redundant.  You can either connect it to the other large lug in the
alternator or insulate it and tie it back. At the other end of the wiring
harness, both the little and the big brown wires are connected together, so
do good job if you choose to tie it back -- it has the entire current
capacity of the battery available to it. If it should ever

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74