Testing seat belts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, ads.holzher@sympatico.ca
Subject: Testing seat belts
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Wed, 19 May 99 18:01:58

From: Cliff Davies <ads.holzher@sympatico.ca> asks...

>How does one verify if your seat belts on a TR6 will work in a crash
>situation? on most cars you simply give the belt a quick tug and it
>locks. My TR6 belts don't lock when I do this and I can't believe I just
>realized this. They adjust and come out of the spoolers just fine? TIA
>Cliff
>73 TR6

Cliff: I understand that there are two types of seat belt
designs;

1)  locks up due to high belt unspooling rate (ie, like a centrifugal clutch.
To test this kind, just tug on the belt, as you describe.)

2)  locks up due to longitudinal (and maybe any horizontal acceleration).
Possibly, you have this second type.  Inside these is a small pendulum device,
centered with a spring, but when it is displaced laterally due to lateral
acceleration, the belt locks up.  To test this type, find a nice empty road
or parking lot where you can apply brakes safely, decelerate vigorously by
braking, and simultaneously tug on the belt [keeping eyes on the road;-) ]
If you have this type, you will find it is locked during deceleration.  Possibly
it will stay locked up if you keep the pressure applied, even after
deceleration
ends.

I bought two new ones for my project (which didn't have servicable belts),
and the new ones are sure nice.  (but expensive).  They are of the
first type, I believe.

Regards,
Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.