Re: 1972 TR6 Stromberg piston needed?

To: "Pete & Aprille Chadwell" <dynamic@transport.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1972 TR6 Stromberg piston needed?
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:25:40 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Pete and list:

FYI, AFAIK the matched set theory is only applicable to SU carbs, as they
use no diapraghm for sealing top to bottom.  Thus, a machine tolerance
finish is required!!

I have swapped internals on my GT6 150 CDs (put the guts of a set of 67
carbs into the body of a 72 spec to get the non-adjustable needles for
racing) with no problem.

HOWEVER,   I found that the top of the carb and the piston should be
matched.  A swap here may allow the piston to hang up or run stiff oncethe
carb is re-assembled.  To cure this, I emery cloth refaced the carb body
lightly, and polished the piston on a buffing wheel.  The tolerances became
sympathetic, all is well, and the diapraghm keeps vacuum where it should be.

NEVER try this with an SU.

Dave T