Re: steering wheels

To: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Subject: Re: steering wheels
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:02:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I was just at the All-British in Vancouver, B.C., and I noticed that two
>brands of aftermarket steering wheels proliferate.  One is, of course, the
>Moto-Lita; but there's another brand I hadn't seen in  the U.S. catalogs.
>It's called something like "Lecarre" or "Leccarre".  My search engine turns
>up nothing.  Anyone know where to find them?  Are there other brands?  The
>problem with the '72 is finding a 14" black-leather wheel with three
>*slotted* spokes instead of drilled---to keep the look of the original.
>Victoria British has one, but the hub TR symbol is *very* tiny, and the
>wheel is thick and made of solid wood under the leather rather than metal).
Yep, just happen to have a catalog for them, and have them installed on
both my running TR's.  BTW the last one I ordered came stamped on the
reverse somewhere made by Moto-Lita.  I had always wondered this since the
hubs and steering wheels looked almost identical.

The outfit in question is
LeCarra
15850 West 6th Ave
Golden Colorado, 80401
(303)279-5181
Fax (303) 279-5251

These are truly beautiful steering wheels and can be ordered in a vast
variety of styles and sizes.  You can actually get a really thick grip rim
approx an inch and a half in dia (with round holes) in polished or black
three spoke style in a 12" dia (which is what I have on the Spitfire).  The
wheel you appear to be looking for (which is what I have in the GT6) would
be a 3 spoke, slotted hole (polished), 14" diameter black leather rim MK4,
model name "Elegante" part number 43201.  My catalog lists about $120 just
for the steering wheel as of 1997 and of course the adapter would add about
$40 to that cost plus whatever shipping would be added. If wanted the same
or similar style can be also be ordered with wooden rims, and four spokes
different sizes, etc.