oil filters - split open no LBC content

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil filters - split open no LBC content
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 16:17:41 -0400

.....how long do you think a oil filter
company would be around selling filters that split open, clog-up...

After graduating from engineering school during a recession, I went to work
in a very large dismantling yard as the yard supervisor.  The car crusher
was known to split oil filters (had two filters mounted side by side,
diesel engine, I've forgotten the engine brand). Car crusher ran about 1.5
hr. per day.  When a filter failed, the operator would switch off the
machine and replace the filters (usually Fram), top off the oil and resume
crushing.  Filter failure occurred about every two months.  After this
happened shortly after I started working there, I asked when the last oil
change was.  No one could remember changing the oil since the crusher was
purchased several years before.  I had the oil changed (24 qt.) along with
the filter replacement .  Never blew another filter in the remaining 11
months that I worked there.  I assume the particular filter did not have an
internal bypass and relied on the 2nd filter to act as a bypass - when both
became plugged a filter housing would rupture.   BTW, I frequently use Fram
filters on my nonLBCs.