TR6 tube shocks vs levers, part II section A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 tube shocks vs levers, part II section A
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:18:47 -0400
Listers-

Apparently the majordomo only accepts messages of a certian length.
Rather than rewrite my verbose treatise on lever arms vs tube shocks
part II over again in abstract form, I am breaking it into 3 pieces and
sending each separately. Please forgive my use of so much bandwidth but
a number of folks have indeed shown interest in this.

Pat A follows:
As promised last week and in the interest of providing as much
comprehensive info as I can on the oft debated question of lever arms vs
tube conversions, I did more measuring and testing of the British Parts
Northwest http://www.bpnorthwest.com/ rear tube conversion shock system
vs uprated rebuild lever arms from Worldwide Automotive
http://www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport and another comparative road test
over the weekend. I have tried to address questions and comments list
folks have brought up as well. Keep in mind I am an amateur.

Delete and move on if not interested, cuz this is long.

To recap, I obtained the BPNW tube system and the rebuilt lever arms,
uprated by approximately 25% from Worldwide Automotive. I can return
them after testing if they are in good condition. I have no financial
interest, etc, see last weeks post for all caveats, however both vendors
have been very nice and helpful.

My TR6 has new nylatron trailing arm bushings, stock springs  and new
poly diff mount bushings at the back end. Front end is all new poly
bushings, new tie rod ends and ball joints, Spax adjustable shocks at
mid-point setting and Moss blue uprated springs. I have also installed
new end links and poly link bushings when testing the lever arms.

Corrections from last week's post: The brackets in the tube kit are ¼"
plate steel, not 3/8". The gas shocks are KYB GR-2's.

Cost: I did not think to mention this last time. The BPNW tube kit is
US$150. You can get it from Victoria British as well for $189 and there
is an upside down picture of the system in the latest catalogs. The
rebuilt lever arms from Worldwide Automotive are $49.95 each, plus $10
each to uprate ( same price as Apple Hydraulics but Apple wouldn't allow
a return and has a lesser warranty), plus $15 each for new links and
around $2 each side for poly bushings, for a total cost for a new lever
system of $154. Quite comparable pricing, so cost is not an issue.

Warranty-The lever arms from Worldwide are lifetime warranted against
leaks. The KBY shocks I understand are lifetime warranted ( this by
word, not in writing in the kit).

In last weeks post, I did some comparative bounce tests which I won't
repeat in detail except that it is clear the tubes are stiffer than the
lever arms. I can jump up and down in the trunk and measure the car's
movement at 7/8" total downward movement with tubes vs 1 3/8" with
levers.

The concerns raised by listers included possible rubbing of the tire and
wheel on the tube system, binding of the tube system due to the arcing
of the trailing arm, lack of upper and lower bump stops for the tube
system, stress on the frame crossmember where the shock bracket attaches
( it attaches at the same point as the lever arms) and stress on the
trailing arm at the point of attachment. I made a number of measurements
and tests outlined below in my amateur attempts to address these
questions. I also went on another back to back comparative test ride for
each system on Saturday.( Molly and the kids were busy, luckily).

The following observations concern how the tube conversion system fits
and works.

to be continued in next section....