Re: tube shocks

To: JmyB@aol.com
Subject: Re: tube shocks
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:45:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
JmyB@aol.com wrote:
>      Look forward to what further you might have to say about
> your shocks, especially about Spax on the front as that might be an option
> for me.  Why did you not go with the Spax on the rear as well?
>                    Hope to hear from you soon,  Jim Bosley.
Hi Jim

I have another update for you re Spax in rear tube conversion.

I talked to the folks at BPNW who sold me the tube conversion kit.
Besides the $150 upgrade cost to go with the Spax ( total $300 for the
rear set up) they said that the Spax benefits really aren't needed
except for serious autocross and racing. They said at street settings,
they would not feel any different than the KYB's that come with the
standard conversion kit. I have to say that, based on how my car feels
with the KYB's, I would not want it any stiffer, and I have stock
springs. I asked about matching with my front Spax and they said that,
though the manufacturer would want you to beleive you need four all
around, its not really necessary. The heavy front end calls for more
sensitivity than the rear, so the adjustable Spax in front make sense to
them but not necessarily the rears for street. They had lots of
opportunity to take my money on an upgrade but never were tempted, so
they must be walking the talk. They said they only sell about 2 Spax
units a month while they claim to have sold over 3,400 units of the
standard KYB tube shock conversion kit to date.

They also said the price differential was the combination of the volume
savings they get on KYB's and specialized manufacturing needed by Spax
to adapt to the rears, which increases the Spax cost. $300 is a lot of
dough for shox.

One other thing-they said they had recently upgraded the plate steel for
the brackets from 3/16 to 1/4 inch plate to handle the Spax, and it is
now the standard bracket as well for the standard units. My unit is the
1/4 inch by my measurements and is very substantial.

Hope this is helpful.

Keith