homemade skirted thermostats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: homemade skirted thermostats
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 01:29:50 EDT
Remember all the talk about our typical $4 aftermarket thermostats causing us
to lose 25% of our TRs cooling capacity? The original Triumph design uses a
'skirted' thermostat that cuts off the 'fast warm-up' recirculation route
when motor gets warmed up. Without the 'skirted' option the recirculation
route never closes continuing to let the very hot water go right back to the
engine without going through the radiator!
Do any of you who have bought this long awaited $32.50 'skirted' thermostat
(Jaguar product) believe that some of us handy and more shallow$pocketed guys
could make our own (and for the next 20 years too) with a little brass work
and soldering? I'm pretty handy and would love to try so if anyone can send
me a photo, picture or even a drawing with measurements of the skirt I will
give it a go. Please let me know if the 'base' of the thermostat is one of
our easily obtainable $4 dollar models.
Regards,
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74 ... with the fear of spending $5000 on parts alone for my
restoration!