Subject: Spit brake hydraulics question

To: <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Subject: Subject: Spit brake hydraulics question
From: "Michael L. Coop" <mcoop@amfam.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:46:46 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tim -

I'm not sure if you were reading the list a few weeks ago when I shared my
Spit Brake System Rebuild fiasco.   So, without repeating the whole boring
sequence of embarrassing mistakes I made, I'll cut right to the point...

If you reinstalled the front calipers on the wrong (meaning opposite) sides
of the car, you'll find that the bleed valves will be on the bottom of the
calipers.   This results in a pocket of air inside the calipers near the top
that you'll never bleed out.

The bleed valves should properly be located on the top of the calipers.
Take a look at your calipers today and see if the bleed valves are correctly
located on the top of the calipers.

Another potential source of trouble involves incorrectly installing the
brake hoses where the bleed valves are supposed to be and vice verse.   I
had my calipers "professionally" rebuilt.  They did a really nice job...
except for the fact they installed the bleed valves where the brake hoses
are supposed to attach.    And, of course, I didn't notice the mistake right
away.

Hopefully one of these two tips will be the magic solution to your brake
bleeding troubles.  I'll feel much better about all the time I spent chasing
the wrong fixes for my troubles.

Mike Coop
Michael Coop Agency, Inc.