Re: how tighten OD plug?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: how tighten OD plug?
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:31:29 -0400
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

> <<> it has to be real tight either way(OD unit oil filter plug).
> Apparently so.  Brian Schlorff tells me he tightens them to 120-150 ft lb.
>  I was using maybe half that.
> >>
> hey guys do you use a special tool to crank the slotted filter plug real
> tight on the A type OD unit?..like a 'two fingered' tool to fit opposing
> slots? or a socket type tool that grabs all the slots and fits neatly onto
> your torque wrench? please clue me in as mine is 'hand tight' as it waits to
> be installed into the car.
> regards
> '56 Carl with '64 TR4

Carl,

Our tool is a milled down socket, and I do mean one mother of a big socket to
get the
right OD - don't recall anymore what size it is exactly.  Picked it up at a flea
market years ago and just started fiddling until it worked.  It fits a 3/4"
ratchet.
The handle on the ratchet is about 36" long.  This is the same ratchet I use to
brake
the nut on the end of the TR tranny flanges and the crank nut on the spit
motors.
I've never actually measured the torque applied to the OD plug, but guessing
from the
force required to break the other large hardware - this feeling about the same
- my
guess is that it is an awful lot of torque.  The plug is a very big thread - it
can
handle very high torque.  Somewhere I have a guide for calculating/estimating
maximum
torque figures, but it escapes me at the moment.

I also have a two prong piece made up of flat stock that I use if I can't get
the car
up in the air to clear the 3/4" drive or if I am doing assembly on the bench.
This is
perfectly adequate for occasional use, but the possibility of one tooth
slipping means
you have to watch it carefully.  I suppose you could use an impact wrench with
a small
two prong type tool, but I feel more comfortable when tightening by hand with a
big
ratchet/lever.

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars