Re: non-vented TR4 gastanks?

To: Amy Jo Black & Tony Zager <amyjo@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: non-vented TR4 gastanks?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Amy Jo Black & Tony Zager wrote:

> I have a TR 4 with a later non-vented tank.  Should I get a later vented gas
>cap
> to go with it, or just hope my rotted cap seal does enough?

If, when you pop the cap to fill up, you hear a "whoooosh" noise, then
yes, get a vented cap.  I would get one anyway, as the rotted cap seal
lets vapors out as well as in, an you lose a bit of gas through
evaporation.  (and you fume up your garage, if you have one...)

If the car runs fine right now, you could leave it be; however, there have
been reports of cars stalling because no air can get into the tank as it
pulls gasoline out to drive around.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm