Re: Ignition Problem

To: Bob Jones <Jones_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Subject: Re: Ignition Problem
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:10:16 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bob:

Not sure what car you're driving but a common error with
the coil and distributor connection is that the white
wire (on a 6) which is the ignition wire goes to the
positive post on the coil and the wire to the distributor
goes to the the negative post.

I learned this the hard way at Carlisle. Bought an ignitor
and hooked it up with help from club members. Straight and
simple procedure. Turned the key and nothing. Tried cranking
it a few times and then the ignitor blew. Got a refund from the
dealer but was his last so picked one up from British Racing
Green's stand. Talking to one of the guys at the stand as to what
happened, he offered to comne along and take a look (has his
own shop specializing in 6s in North Carolina). Anyway, he
right away noticed that the wiring was backwards. The reason
it runs is that points aren't sensitive to the charge so they
will work but will lose about 1/3 of their life. When you put
in an electronic unit it blows.

Checked a number of other 6s and sure enough they were backwards.

Not sure if this is your problem but noticed in your description
that you had the positive wire going to the distributor.

BTW. He also notised that the rotor was the wrong type and got
a correct one at the stand. I bought the rotor from TRF and he
indicated that it has happend before.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6