Re: Changing Hobbies

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Changing Hobbies
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 07:21:02 -0700
Luckily, I have a second hobby that co-exists reasonably well with my
Triumph "hobby."  It's indeed a mystery why certain people turn to certain
interests, and in my case, my two "main" hobbies have NOTHING in common.
But, just yesterday I was able to enjoy both at the same time.  I drove the
TR (top down) about 30 miles south of here to my favorite spot along the
beautiful Fall River here in Oregon.  I park at a little turnout there that
overlooks a sweeping 180 deg. bend in the river.  I donned my waders, fly
rod, & vest and spent roughly four hours casting dry flies to rainbow trout
plainly visible in the crystal clear spring water of the Fall River.  At
times the TR was within view even while I fished, and other times not.  In
the bend right below the turnout the TR watched as I hooked, landed and
then released a 15 inch rainbow.  (the fifth fish of the day)

When I got back to the car and peeled all my stuff off, I had to snap a few
pics of the TR with the Fall River as the backdrop.  The drive back home
was spectacular, and of course the TR ran beautifully.  What a perfect day!

I guess the only way these two hobbies clash is that if I drive the TR, I'm
limited to paved roads, or even very short gravel roads if I absolutely
MUST.  This rules out a lot of other great places to fly fish for me.  A
Land Rover Series III would fill the bill a little better in that respect.

Incidentally, on my drive down Highway 97 to the river I passed a pair of
trucks that were hauling some LBC's... One was flat-towing a very
rough-looking TR3, and had what appeared to be the body tub of a TR3 in the
bed of the truck.  I was looking so intently, that I almost missed the
second truck, also with a load of LBC's... wasn't able to ID anything on
the second truck, but DEFINITELY LBC's.  The trucks were traveling north,
opposite of me, so I didn't get a long look at 60 mph.  I wonder if it was
anyone we know?

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6