Re: Caliper Question

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Re: Caliper Question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 17:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Patrick Bitton wrote:

> Unfortunately I separated my calipers. Now that it is done, I was wondering
> if anyone knows what type of sealer I can use. I went to an auto parts place
> and they didn't know. Also, I am painting them. Do I need to use a high
> temperature resistant paint?

You need a little O ring to go between the halves.  Some rebuild kits have
(halve?) them, most do not.  ISTR that normal plumbing O rings may not be
up to the task of braking systems; some people have apparently used them
to no ill effects, but your mileage (and especially, your stoppage!) may
vary.

Somewhere (ie. check the list archives) there is written the specs on the
little O ring, and the torque settings for the caliper bolts.

I was unable to undo the bolts on my calipers; later on I found out that I
wasn't supposed to undo them anyway.  Hence, I didn't have a use for the
little O ring in my rebuild kits, and I still haven't been able to find
them :-(

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm