Re: Factory installed windscreens

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Factory installed windscreens
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:40:15 -0600
Cc: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net

Barry Schwartz wrote:

> >Its True.  I've seen many factory films showing the huge rubber hammer
> >routine.  I even saw it done at the Jaguar factory a couple months ago!
> **************************************
> Thanks, that's been the response so far.  I am a little surprised though, I
> figured that all newer windscreens were of the glued in variety, without a
> rubber glazing strip these days-

We use rubber gasketing still, on full-size buses. But, it takes two
guys with suction cups to hold one windshield half in place, another
with the occasional large rubber mallet and a plastic tool to lift out
the curls in the rubber. But, ours use locking channel in the rubber, so
that the rubber is mechanical tightened against the glass, along with
sealant.

The rubber mallet is an acceptable tool, just so long as one is sure
that the glass is tempered. Tempered glass will take a considerable
blow, as long as it is flat on the broad surface. Hit it on the edge and
will shatter.

Cheers.