Re: Radio suppression

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radio suppression
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:18:52 -0700
Geo,
 I think the main source of radio noise is the alternator. On Lucas
alternators(at least on mine) there is a capacitor to filter out most noise.
My ignition coil also has a capacitor on the positive side which is mounted on
the engine. I don't think its a ballast resistor in this case. I'm not sure if
it too is a noise filter or not but I suspect it is. I've got a '74 TR6. I
recently installed a 12 volt Lucas sport coil and I left the + side capacitor
in place and wired a new wire directly from the fuse box(12v). In my case the
old wiring was the 'ballast resistor'. Typically, round capacitors(with a uF
rating) mounted on the + side of a coil are indeed for radio noise suppression.

As with jonmac, I have seen(on my old 240z for instance) where the ballast
resistor is indeed a ceramic blocky looking inline resistor on the + side of
the coil. It does not, however, ground in anyway the + side of the coil like a
capacitor(high frequency noise filter). Its simply an inline resistor(to keep
the voltage down to 6-8 volts) for a 6-8 volt ignition coil.

Once again, most induced radio noise comes from an alternator(high pitched
weiring noise). A crackly popping type noise is what the ignition coil/wires
will induce into the electrical system of your car.