Re: Bizarre TR6 steering problem

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bizarre TR6 steering problem
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 22:52:15 -0700
I had a similar experience but it was'nt so funny. I had just repaced both my
upper steering u-joint and speedometer cable. I made two mistakes:
1. I did'nt zip lock the speedometer cable(and the oil sender to guage pipe)
down as it was before. It passes close to the upper stearing u-joint.
2. I didnt mash the bolt securing wire(that keeps the u-joint bolts from
backing out) down well enough so it wouldn't grap onto anything as the steering
shaft turns.

Well, you may have guessed it, the steering bolt wires grabbed the oil sender
to gauge pipe and snatched it clean from the motor. An involuntary oil
change(if you will) was the outcome. Lucky for my it was in the driveway.

Needless to say I've since made sure nothing is in the way of the steering and
both battery cables are clear of obsticles. On the positive side, I noticed my
positive battery cable was getting pushed around by the bonnet release
mechanism recently and I've since made both cables to where they pass inside of
the battery hold down rods just to keep them out of harms way. I also taped off
the hold down rods so if the positive side every gets a break in the insulation
there wont be immediate metal on metal.

Yes, the worst part I ever put on my car was the part where I did'nt pay
attention to a seemingly trivial detail.