Spitfire Diff Question...

Subject: Spitfire Diff Question...
From: "Ian Frearson" <frearji@montevallo.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:55:01 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all... thanks for everyone's help so far regarding my transmission woes
(hey, anybody have a J-Type OD unit and trans for sale?). My next topic to
tackle is the differential--or at least, I think it's the differential. How
does one diagnose the clunking? How do you know whether it's diff clunks or
UJ clunks? Assuming it IS the diff, what parts are worn? Can I rebuild it?
Will I ever be able to stop asking so many questions?

On a slightly different train of thought...  when I bought the car, the PO
(who didn't seem at ALL knowledgeable about anything mechanical) told me
that the diff leaked quite a bit and had to be topped up with gear oil on a
regular basis, hence the presence of a large container of gear oil in the
trunk. And yet...in the four months that I've had the car, it hasn't leaked
a drop of diff oil that I can see...and I've looked underneath, and cant'
find any evidence of fresh (or excess) gear oil anywhere. Was the PO just
smoking a little too much crack?

Thanks as always,

Ian.