Re: coolent flow and radiators

To: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: coolent flow and radiators
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:42:21 -0500
Jerry,
        I didn't mean to imply that a stuck thermostat would/could yield false
temp readings. I was trying to point out that a cool reading on a guage
without a stat in place may give one a false sense of security. I can fully
believe that your engine in the Ford ran too cool, much like my Series Land
Rover does. Newer FI and computer controlled cars are running much higher
temps anyway, and we've noticed the practice of installing a cooler stat in
summer will often result in at best poorer gas mileage. The operating temp
window these days is much smaller than in days of yore when men were
men..... (sorry). I am not a believer in removing stats. I do believe that
when there's no other option a blanking plate or a gutted stat is the way
to go. And you guage will provide truer readings. Sorry for the ramble.
Cheers  Peter
--
At 05:30 PM 7/29/99 , Jerry Oliver wrote:
>Since the thermostat was stuck open, the tempertaure gauage would not be
>adversely affected. It would operate just as it would if the thermostat
>had opened normally. Believe me, there was a noticable difference in
>operation of the engine, much like trying to drive without the choke
>pulled out on a cold morning in a LBC. Many cars in the early years had
>no thermostats ( 4 1/2 million Model As) or water pumps (15 million
>Model Ts). I think we have to face the fact that when it comes to
>cooling, most LBCs are just poorly designed. Jerry.
>
>"Peter C." wrote:
>>
>> And further logic would suggest that if heat is not being transferred to
>> the coolant, then the sender that reads the temperature of the coolant is
>> giving you false security. It could be that the iron/aluminum or whatever,
>> is indeed hotter than it would be with the coolant restricted by the
>> thermostat. I find that many people believe the guage sender, but it is
>> susceptible to eroor for the same reason the cooling ability is diminished.
>>  Just another .02 in the kitty.    Peter C
>>
>> At 03:30 PM 7/29/99 , Jerry Oliver wrote:
>> >
>> >Good logic, but I question the assumption that new car engines have the
>> >same design cooling problems as LBC. For example, my '92 F250 had the
>> >radiator stick in the open position during the hottest weeks of the year
>> >last summer. Even towing a car trailer to Oregon, the engine would not
>> >come up to normal operating temperature. The thermostat in that car is
>> >used to warm the engine to proper temperature, as the cooling system is
>> >well "over designed" intentionally. I think you have to remember that in
>> >England, it is a rare summer day that goes into the high 80 degree F.
>> >These cars were conceived to operate in a temperature range of 55 to 75
>> >degree F.  I have an MGA, with some engine modifications that tend to
>> >make it run even warmer than  normal. The auxiliary fan I installed is
>> >used only on the warmest days here in Seattle area. Our weather is
>> >similar to the British Isles. I owned a nearly new 66 TR4A in the Los
>> >Angeles area in the late 1960's, and removed the thermostat with success
>> >to counter act those hot days in the San Fernando Valley. Boy, do I miss
>> >those Valley Girls. Regards to all, Jerry Oliver, Olympia WA CTC66836L

Peter C.
MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S(spoken for) ((now gone)),
'52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
nosimport@mailbag.com