Re: Mc D coffee, lawyers, stupidity and vintage racing

To: dterrick@pangea.ca, arthurhsmith@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mc D coffee, lawyers, stupidity and vintage racing
From: Lftlesl@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:58:31 EDT
Jeez, I hate to bomb the list about this, but I have been too busy to work on
my car for several months and I'm cranky. The anti-lawyer politicians and big
business apologists had a field day with the McD coffee suit (no I'm NOT a
lawyer, but I'd rather have a trial lawyer on my side than a corporate
greedhead), but the facts prove that 1. the woman had a legitimate gripe and
2. the legal system worked just fine.
The coffee spilled on her lap was WAY above safe temperatures, a fact that
McD was well aware of and had ignored despite numerous complaints. The lady
had third degree burns and required skin grafts to recover from her injuries.
The original reward of several million dollars was reduced to about $600,000,
which is usually the case when huge damages are awarded by juries. Bottom
line -- we sometimes need protection from thoughtless or negligent parties,
and there has never been a better system than ours. Sometimes it goes over
the top, but that is better than the alternative.
Sorry again. It's out of my system now, and I'll get off the soap box.
Les Landon
1962 TR3B TCF644L
Baton Rouge, LA