Re: Theft Proofing dated: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:30:59 -0700

To: brichard@us.oracle.com, Bill@cs.uofs.edu, Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Subject: Re: Theft Proofing dated: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:30:59 -0700
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net

> Didn't say it was the best, but if someone tried to hot wire the car,
> and it won't start, they'll probably leave.  If they open the hood, and
> you've done a good job of hiding what you did, they won't see that
> either.  Sure, a knowledgeable person could eventually figure it out,
> but out of all the possibilities for a car not starting, some of which
> others have suggested on this mail list for theft proofing, just how
> much is a thief going to try before they leave?

Like I said, it will stop the joyriders, but it won't even slow down
anyone who knows what the car is and wants it for it's potential value.
The first thing he will think of is a cutoff switch and the second will
be the jumper wire in his pocket.  I have never stolen a car in my life,
but before the introduction of the steering column lock, I hotwired lots
of cars.

I work in the computer business and this is like "security by obscurity"
it makes you feel good, but it really offers no protection.

I think the rotor in the pocket is best idea I've heard so far.  I know
I have never gone anywhere with a spare one in my pocket and I doubt many
thieves do either.

bill

--
bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.