Re: TR3A wiring question

To: Ken Gano <triumphs@mcleodusa.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A wiring question
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:52:59 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
As George suggested, start with a test lamp (or whatever's handy) in
series with the battery.  With everything turned off, the lamp shouldn't
light.

Then, if you can find something like a headlight bulb (I use the high
beam portion of a bulb with the low beam burnt out) to put in series,
you can test the all the low current circuits (brake lights, turn
signals, tail lights, ignition, dash lights, heater fan, wipers).  Turn
on each circuit in turn and check for operation. The headlight bulb will
pass enough current to operate things (maybe slow and/or dim), but will
limit the current to safe levels.  It may glow, but shouldn't come on
bright.  You should be able to set your electronic ignition now, too.

If all that passes, then hook the battery up directly, but leave the
ground clamp loose, so you can yank it in a hurry if something goes
wrong.  Now you can check the horns, the headlights, and finally, start
the engine.

Randall