Re: Silver Wheel paint

To: dterrick@pangea.ca, schneidr@mc.net, musson@satie.arts.usf.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silver Wheel paint
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:23:26 EDT
In a message dated 01-Sep-99 01:18:29 Eastern Daylight Time,
dterrick@pangea.ca writes:

> No.  correct me if you have the info, but they were an off-white, sort of
>  cream.  I believe the change was in the region of 1968.  MT 65 TR4a had
>  cream wheels and white exterior (different),  I have seen similar (and body
>  colour) on many TR3's.   I recommend you do as you see fit.

Just a note on this.  A Triumph Distibutors' note (Genser-Foreman NY,NJ, PA)
from early '63 states:

"... we have been advised by the factory in England that, with effect early
in March 1963, all models in the range will have their road wheels painted in
Spa White color in place of the silver aluminum color at present in use. ..."

Spa White was a TR3 and early TR4 body color.  It was available on TR4's up
to CT21495 (March of '63) as a body color.  After that white TR4's were
painted New White.  Sounds to me like they decided to economize by painting
TR4 wheels with the paint that was left over when they moved to New White for
the TR4 body.  I have no data on when they stopped painting the wheels in Spa
White.  Cheers.

Art Kelly