Re: TR4 Head studs

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Head studs
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:51:43 -0700
Malcolm Walker wrote:

> ... The forward [manifold] gasket blew out because there's a broken
> stud there; not my fault, but I'd still like to fix it :-)
>
> ...I'd like to know how much thread to drill....  I am going to
> construct a drilling template out of 1/4" steel plate and use that as a
> guide.  (FWIW, the replacement stud I have has about 5/8" of thread on the
> casting end)
>
>  ... and advice?

IMHO, this may be a job for a pro.  I recall when I had a couple of broken
manifold studs & I called a machine shop for their price to remove them.  He
quoted 2 prices... one if I brought it in 'as is' and another if I brought it
in after I had "messed with it".

The second price was several times the first with no guarantee it would not be
more.

I took it in... 20 bucks & a couple of hours later I had it back with studs
removed.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A