TR4 Head studs

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Head studs
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:46:53 -0700 (PDT)
I got the manifolds off the TR4 without much fuss; one nut was a bit
obstinate but I managed to get it undone without snapping the stud
(although the ratchet made some funny noises... hope I didn't break it)

Found 3 gasket blowouts, 2 on exhaust and 1 on intake.  Well, that solves
the "sounds like Vee Dub" syndrome, and should make a big difference in
manifold vacuum.  The forward gasket blew out because there's a broken
stud there; not my fault, but I'd still like to fix it :-)

Question: how far do the head studs penetrate into the head?  By looking
at the bosses I can see that they can't be more than 3/4" or so, but I'd
like to know how much thread to drill.  There's nothing protruding so I
cant do the get-it-hot-with-magic-flame-tool trick; I am going to
construct a drilling template out of 1/4" steel plate and use that as a
guide.  (FWIW, the replacement stud I have has about 5/8" of thread on the
casting end)

I also have to pull out a badly corroded nut/stud on the intake-exhaust
manifold setup.  (the things that hold the 2 manifolds together).  Is it
safe to use the Blue Wrench around aluminum?  I don't really want to melt
my intake manifold...  should I use the propane torch instead?  (I was
considering wrapping wet rags on the alum. part and just heating the end
of the stud cherry red, and not touching anything) ... and advice?

Thanks doubly in advance....
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm