Re: Chromed or Stainless Brakes Better?

To: Michael Marr <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Subject: Re: Chromed or Stainless Brakes Better?
From: Dennis Lambert <dlambert@anaheim.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:19:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Carl,
Since the pistons don't contact anything except the seal in the grove, ultra
smoothness shouldn't be a factor.  Actually, the pistons only travel
fractionally when the brakes are applied; mostly just the seal flexes.  When the
brake pedal is released, and the pressure is gone from the piston, the seal
returns to it's original shape pulling the piston back away from the rotor with
it - this is what prevents the pad from remaining in close contact with the
rotor.  At least this is what I've been told by a mechanic that's been in the
business for a long time.
Dennis
'61 TR3A, still apart, but making progress