PDWA O-Rings

To: TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: PDWA O-Rings
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:28:50 -0400
Fellow Scions,

You may remember my PDWA and Restoration Woes post of last Saturday.  I
appreciate the several emails off-list and will respond to all.  Well I
did indeed have a few beers and performed a ListQuest search on PDWA's
and O-Rings and found a reference to PSP Inc. in Denver.  Their Web Site
is

http://www.pspglobal.com/frameset.html

This evening, I called them up and was helped by their chemist, Bill,
who is also a sports car enthusiast, although he likes Porsche's.
Anyway, I relayed to him about my recent experience with DOT5 and
O-Rings and asked him if Ethylene Propylene (EP) O-Rings were the proper
material for DOT5.  Well, Bill cross-checked at least 5 different
manuals and the unanimous endorcement of all was that this is a good
application.  (FWIW, there is another material, Aflas, which meets or
exceeds EP in most catagories but at about twice the price, why bother.)

The best we can determine about my situation is that my local supplier
provided me with the wrong grade O-Rings.  I won't know for sure until I
disassemble my PDWA.  If the O-Rings are disintegrating then he said
that I probably got Nitrile instead of EP.  He also suggested a "burr"
in the shuttle bore but I kepy the original O-Rings and neither of them
is marked in any way.  During cleaning, I was overly cautious, using
Simply Green and a pipe cleaner to clean out the bores, so I don't
suspect that I introduced any burrs.

PSP would have been offered a small quantity of EP O-Rings for free,
however, they didn't have any of the size I need in stock.  They did
refer me to a supplier, AP&G, who agreed to sell me a small quantity.
They had 140,000 in stock so there was no problem there.

Now AP&G has a minimum order and at less than $.25 each, I decided to
order 50 and offer the leftovers to members of the list for only my cost
and postage.  Now, before anyone gets excited, there's 2 things to
know.  First, I'd recomment you disassemble your PDWA, carefully remove
the old O-Rings and measure their size.  The one's I ordered will fit my
PDWA and are Series 000, Size -010.  This spec is for an O-Ring with a
Cross-Section (width) 0.070" +or- 0.003" and an Inner Diameter range
from Minimum of .234", Mean of 0.239" and a Maximum of 0.244.  For my
application there cannot be any other size as the next series, 100, is
too thick, 0.103" and thediameter sizes -009 and -011 are too small too
large diameters to fit.  The excellent article on the VTR Website lists
a different size O-Ring I believe.  Perhaps this is the earlier variety
PDWA?  My car is a '75.

The second thing is that I don't have them yet and they will be sent via
UPS Ground so I'll probably have them next Monday.  Additionally, until
I see the credit card invoice, I won't know how much the shipping costs
in order to pro-rate it, but I expect that a $1 will cover everything
for a pair of them.

Email me directly if you have interest and I'll reply after receipt with
my address and a confirmation of the price.

Gary
'75 TR6 Undergoing Remanufacture
Close to Done!