TR3 Distributor R&R

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Distributor R&R
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 18:45:13 -0700
Due to some sloppy reassembly in its distant past, my TR3's distributor
drive gear is out of position by 90 degrees.  Specifically, #1 plug wire
connects to the distributor at the 2:00 position instead of at 11:00.
In other words, the position of the cap, vac advance, etc. looks fine
but the rotor is 90* off.

It appears to remedy this I must remove the distributor pedestal (with
the distributor still attached) and then pull the gear that drives the
oil pump shaft & distributor.... and reinsert it after repositioning it
90* counterclockwise.  My questions....

Will I be able to just pull it out & put it back in?  There appears to
be a woodruff key on the oil pump shaft... will this fall out?  Or will
that long shaft come out attached to the gear?

Will I need to also turn the oil pump 90* cc to get the shaft back in
it's new position?

The Haynes manual outlines how to measure dizzy shaft end-float, but I
assume that if I am lucky enough to remove the pedestal with the old
gaskets in place and can reassemble without disturbing them, then
end-float will be unchanged?

Bottom-line:  The car runs just fine "as is" but doesn't look correct
with the sparkplug wires crossing over each other... so I don't have to
do this if it is an invitation to real trouble.  TIA for any advice &
help.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A