RE: TR3 Distributor R&R

Subject: RE: TR3 Distributor R&R
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:39:28 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Geo :

It's been a long time, but as I recall there is nowhere for the pump shaft
to go.  Even if it doesn't stay in the gear (mine didn't), it still stands
up high enough that you can just slide the gear back down over it.  If the
key falls out of the shaft (mine didn't), you should be able to pick it up
from the bottom of the cavity, and hold it into the shaft with some grease.
 You should be able to turn the shaft with your fingers to turn the pump
and align with the new position.  The end float should be fine, even if you
have to replace the gasket between the pedestal and the block.

Worst case would be if the key manages to fall into the crankcase.  Then,
you would have to drop the pan to retrieve it.  But even that isn't too
major a job, since you don't have to take the engine loose, or anything.
 If you do drop the pan, check the condition of the oil pump pickup screen
while you have it off.  If it is torn, it should be repaired or replaced.
 Ken G. wrote of a good way to strengthen the screen.  Let me know if you
want a copy of his tip.

Randall
59 TR3A