RE: ignition light

To: "'KHOCO@aol.com'" <KHOCO@aol.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ignition light
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:03:44 -0700
Ken :

Sounds like your cutout contacts aren't closing/making contact.  Most
likely a bad regulator, possibly a mis-polarized generator, or incorrect
wiring.  Check the voltage on the D terminal (which should be wired to the
generator output terminal and the IGN lamp).  If it's above 15 volts, you
have a bad regulator.  If it's opposite battery voltage (ie + on a + ground
car, - on a - ground car), the generator is polarized wrong.  If it's near
battery voltage (11-14 volts), there is a wiring error to the lamp.  (In
normal operation, one side of the lamp is connected to the battery through
the ignition switch, the other side through the cutout contacts. Since the
net voltage is near 0, the lamp goes out.)

Randall