Re: TDC on a Tr3

Subject: Re: TDC on a Tr3
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:48:00 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Depends a little on how much precision you are looking for.  The most
accurate way is to put a degree wheel on the end of the crank, then put
a positive stop in the cylinder, and read where the crank stops coming
up to TDC from each direction.  TDC is then exactly between those two
points.  You can make a positive stop by knocking out the ceramic from
an old spark plug, then threading the shell for a bolt about 3" long.
Cut the head of the bolt off, and round the end with a grinder.

Another method is to stick a long thin screwdriver down the spark plug
hole, and feel for the piston coming up while you _carefully_ turn the
crank by hand.  Once the screwdriver touches the piston, you have to
slowly draw the screwdriver back, so it doesn't jam in the plug hole,
and feel for when the piston stops rising as you turn the crank.

If the valve train is installed, you can pull the rocker cover and turn
the crank forward until the #4 exhaust is just closing, and the #4
intake is just opening.  This works with the factory cam, and most (but
not all) aftermarket cams.

Randall
59 TR3A