Re: Gearbox Problems.

To: "David Greed" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Problems.
From: "Tom Parker" <parkert@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 14 Sep 99 21:48:30 +1200
David Greed <greed@wave.co.nz> wrote:

>The usual cause of overdrive failure is electrical - ask me how I know...

I've eliminated the eletrical failure modes, as I jumpered the solinoid
straight to the battery. Some sparks and a small click. I haven't yet put an
ammeter on it to see how much current is being drawn.

>The Haynes manual for the Stag details tests that can be done using a

I've seen this detailed in a web page.

>Having detailed the testing process though..., my friend (an A-grade
>mechanic and fellow Triumph nut) who did most of the work on the gearbox,
>tested everything while the car was still on the stands. He did not rev the
>motor hard (doing so can be dangerous, especially if the car fell off the
>stands), but tested it sufficiently to make sure all the various ratios
>worked before doing a real road test. Having a tachometer to guage the
>changes of ratios helped.

Then I'm correct in thinking that you cannot test the overdrive on the bench.
I suppose a clean out and inspection as per haynes is the only thing I can do
on the bench short of completely dismantiling it?

Am I right in my interpretation of the haynes that if it is a hydrolic problem
it can be fixed from the outside, and if it is the clutch linings worn out
then it must be taken apart completely, and if it is neither hydrolic nor the
clutch lining then it is a right off?

--
Tom Parker - parkert@ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/