Re: TR6 motor on engine stand

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 motor on engine stand
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:14:55 -0400
econrad wrote:

> My initial concern was the fine thread, and its holding power.
> Well, I recalled a comment my old high school physics teacher had once said:
> it's not necessarily the depth of the threads, but the number of threads
> holding the object.  Well, I'm here to say that those four 5/16" fine thread
> bolts hold just fine.

Eric and others,

Generally, fine threads are stronger than coarse threads.  Because of the
shallow 'ramp' they can handle more torque than a same size coarse thread.
However, do not use fine threads in soft metals such as aluminum.  There you'll
want to use a coarse thread.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars