Re: TR6 motor on engine stand

Subject: Re: TR6 motor on engine stand
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:59:47 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Rob :

IMO there's nothing to worry about re: the bolts.  After all, there are
only 6 (or is it 8, I forget) that hold the engine to the transmission,
and they have to deal with shock loads of many Gs, plus full engine
torque.  And, AFAIK they are only grade 3.  By all means, use grade 8
bolts, if you want some extra margin, but I can't see where they are
required.  I've had a complete TR3 engine hanging on the stand in the
corner for several years, with grade 3 bolts, and no problems.  However,
multiple flat washers on the upper bolts are a good idea, if your stand
has 1/2" through holes like mine does.

OTOH, an engine on a stand is not the easiest thing to roll around,
especially if you have an el-cheapo stand like mine.  The whole
arrangement is quite top heavy, and the wheels will tend to catch on any
imperfection in the floor, making the whole thing want to pitch over
when you move it.  I'd recommend a homemade engine dolly, as others have
described.

Randall