Removing body filler - how?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Removing body filler - how?
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:58:53 -0400
Got the left front fender off without much trouble.  I had to cut
the lowest bolt holding the fender to the valence.  I found two
silver dollar sized spots of serious rust: one under the sidelamp
and one on the bottom edge.  The rest of the fender is fine,
surface rust only.  So far so good.

Then I got to the right side.

When removing the left fender I found three coarse sheet metal
screws along the lower back edge, fastening the fender to the
sill. I couldn't find these screws on the right side, since they had
been skillfully covered with body filler.  This stuff is thick.  Since
the fender won't come off, I'll assume the screws are in there
somewhere.

How do I get the filler off and get to the screws?  I'm afraid to go
wild with my old putty knife and hammer, since I'm sure the underlying
metal is fairly weak.  My drill and wire wheel had no effect.  Is there
a chemical solution?

Thanks for the advice.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@access1.net