RE: Removing body filler - how?

To: philpatt@kalamazoo.net
Subject: RE: Removing body filler - how?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 00:06:35 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 philpatt@kalamazoo.net wrote:

> > How do I get the filler off and get to the screws?  I'm afraid to go
> > wild with my old putty knife and hammer, since I'm sure the underlying
> > metal is fairly weak.  My drill and wire wheel had no effect.  Is there
> > a chemical solution?
>
> When I was faced with removing large patches of bondo, I found that a putty
> knife and a propane torch worked pretty well...  Heat the filler, it should
> soften, and be easier to remove.

Acetylene is quicker, but it burns sooner too.

For wholesale removal I stick a thin cutterwheel in the angle grinder and
let 'er rip.  Wear a dust mask if you do this, Bondo makes a lot of dust.

If you have lots of Bondo covering something up, chances are that what's
underneath is best left alone.  Cut the whole works off and start again.
I only had 1 case in my car where the underlying metal was good- no rust,
just accident damage (and some BIG spot welds, like 1/2" round bumps on
the seams.  Lots of filler needed to hide those)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm