Re: Fender repair panels for TR4A - any good?

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Subject: Re: Fender repair panels for TR4A - any good?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:35:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Cliff Hansen wrote:

> I'll be repairing the typical rust on my fenders (lower rear of front,
> lower front of rear).  TRF sells a "filler panel" for the front fender,
> Rimmers lists "wing fixing kits."  I'm waiting an answer from Rimmer
> about just what is in a wing fixing kit.  Moss lists both but apparantly
> are out of stock.
>
> Anybody used these and care to comment on the fit and quality?
> Would I be better off looking for used fenders (ouch!)

I had the same rust problems, and then some.  The LH rear fender is done
(see my web page, www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/progress1.htm) and I
wish I could afford good used fenders.

The RH rear is nowhere near as bad.  The trouble with the repro parts is
that they're almost always made of thinner metal than the originals.  I
got a repro rocker for my TR4 and it was OK, but seemed to be 22 or 24 ga
steel instead of the thicker 20 ga.

If you have the space, get some sheet steel and make your own parts.  A
bench vise (I have both a mechanics' vise and an 8" wood vise) are great
helps.  You can bend the metal without either, but it's sooo much easier
to clamp it and then bend.

I made a rocker panel by clamping the entire width of the rocker onto a
heavy bench and then heaving on it with all my might.  Fender patches are
easier, as they're not so long.

My biggest problem is figuring out what the car is supposed to look like,
most of the time I have nothing to work with except a heap (literally!) of
rust.  You can bet I'll be taking notes at Sunday's show!  Hope there's
another 4-4A-250 there.  (Rod, you listening?)

If you have a fair idea of what it's shaped like, you can build a better
patch that fits *exactly* with some time, patience, and know-how.  Don't
be afraid to raid the firewood pile for the appropriate Bonking Stick.
And make sure your wife is aware that you're going to beat the crap out of
a piece of metal before you start!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm